Tuesday 30 March 2010

YOU'VE GOT THE LOVE

Prepare yourselves girls, the moment is getting ever closer... it is only two months until the release of Sex and the City 2!! Official date- May 28th!! My girlfriends and I have been re-watching the TV series from the beginning and revelling once more in the fabulous fashion, the shocking sex and the wonderful friendship of Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. I know a lot of people have a favourite girl, one whose style they aspire to, whose personality they relate to or whose situation they empathise with but I like to think that we all have aspects of each girl in all of us- the optimism of Charlotte, the sassiness of Samantha, the sarcasm of Miranda and the style of Carrie. Of course there are outfits or accessories the other girls have worn that I have envied (Charlotte's pink Jackie-O outfit which she wore to Brady's first birthday) but Carrie's quirky style is something I've always appreciated, regardless of the fact that I wouldn't have the courage (or the body) to wear a lot of her clothes. Patricia Field must be given a standing ovation for her creative input in this show- I don't think the characters would have been even half as realistic or likeable without their distinctive looks.
So, in celebration of the coming sequel I put together a few of my favourite outfits seen on Carrie in the first film.

The opening sequence- such an iconic outfit as corsages were SUCH a big thing in the series. And of course for the film the flowers had to be SUPERSIZED! The dress is vintage, the shoes are Dior Extremes and the clutch is Castor & Pollux.

Apartment/penthouse shopping- vintage coat and dress, vintage 'Roger' belt (seen repeatedly throughout the film), Dior Extremes again and Timmy Woods Eiffel Tower bag which I HAVE!!  (I say I have, but the bag is definitely my moms- I shall dig it out and photograph it while I'm home because it is super cute but completely impractical) Floral print dresses with studded belts is a look that must have been made by this film because I have seen it countless times on girls around Birmingham and London and have worked the look myself on several occasions.

I can't quite remember whereabouts this still comes from in the film but I love the grown-up schoolgirl chic of knee-high socks, cardigan and lace up ankle boots.
Dress by Nieves Lavi, top by Georgio Armani, Sweater by Tomas Maier, Shoes by Valentino and bag by Prada

Shopping and telling Samantha about the engagement- I love the contrast of black and pink here, despite the fact that I hate pink clothes with a passion. In my eyes its a modern 80s Madonna look.
Vintage dress, 'Roger' belt, Dior shoes and Chanel bag.


I have to add in here the extended clip of the montage scene when the girls are packing up Carrie's wardrobe ready for the move. There were a lot of hilarious outfits you didn't get to see in the theatrical cut which are definitely worth checking out now!!


No words, just sound-sharp intake of breath plus smile. Vivienne Westwood. Genius.

Fashion Week- Usually the proportions of Carrie's outfit wouldn't work; chubby fur plus voluminous puff-skirt?? But it works because of the tonal greys and Carrie's newly dyed brown hair.
Dress by Dolce and Gabbana, fur by Lucien Pellat-Finet and shoes by Sigerson Morrison (you can't see them in this picture but they are cream pointy-toed stiletto ankle boots).
I have to say I also LOVE Samantha's PK fur. It looks so soft and so white (until it gets blood stained)

House-warming plus baby shower- I loved the new style of decoration in Carrie's flat; it is far more feminine and boudoir-ish than before which suits her style more. I also LOVED the blue of this dress against the heavy gold chain and Carrie's newly blonde again hair.
Dress by Emma Domb, shoes by Manolo Blahnik and vintage necklaces.

And now for a preview of what is to come in the second film...
80s FLASHBACKS!!!!



OUTRAGEOUS but FABULOUS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment