Thursday 4 March 2010

These are a few of my favourite things...

I wanted to do a full post of all the amazing spreads I liked in the latest POP magazine but then on my internet browse this morning I discovered that none other than the fabulous Tavi Gevinson had already done a post on this because she, lucky girl, is IN the magazine!!
So, check out her post on her blog style rookie, and I'm just adding some of the things she didn't mention.

This is a shot from a really interesting and inspiring interview with Joan Burstein- the founder of London fashion boutique Browns. This was a particularly intriguing article for me as I have recently been discussing with my housemates our dream of setting up a small quirky boutique in the city!



I just loved the styling of these photos. The model is Hannah Coughlin, an intern at Moschino who is wearing some amazing embellished items from the Moschino archives.



These are shots by the photographer Neville Wakefield of installation artist Olympia Scarry. The environmental background of these shots is truly stunning- the combination of colourful rock formations, slight mist, pools of water and bright natural lighting make the scene really mystical and ethereal. It really reminded me of Blake's print 'Nebuchadnezzar' (below)



This is Margherita Missoni- I love her style and especially the fact that she always looks carefree and cheerful- it's the old adage that nothing completes an outfit like a smile!!

These are some of my favourite shots from the book 'Unseen Vogue' which I've mentioned previously.


This is a portrait of Lisa Fonssagrives by photographer John Rawlings from 1939. I love the play with light and shadow here, you can't really tell from this photo but the contours the light creates on her face are AMAZING.


This is a shot of Anne Chambers by photographer Norman Parkinson from 1948. The set up of this shot with the discarded jacket, gloves and shoes is beautiful but also quite amusing, in a weird way. I love the beads around her right wrist and the teacup balanced atop the wooden box!


There's nothing I love more than photographs of ballet dancers; they just have such grace and ease of movement which you can't teach a model. These are shots of the dancers Margot Fonteyn (left) and Anya Linden (right) by photographer Cecil Beaton in the 1950s. Classic.


These are shots of Simon D'Allencourt by photographer William Klein from 1961. I love the juxtaposition of high fashion glamour with 'normal' people and children on the street, especially with the barren trees in the backgroun which add an odd element of horror...


These are shots by Paolo Roversi from an collection titled 'The Surreal Art of the Extraordinary Hat'. As the caption states, Roversi manipulated 10 x 8in Polaroid film to create a distinctive painterly style which was imitated profusely in the late 1980s. The photos are strangely beautiful and haunting.

4 comments:

  1. The photo of Lisa Fonssagrives is incredibly atmospheric- rather Film Noir. The pictures of the ballet dancers are stunning. They are just so elegant and ethereal, sigh. I wish I could dance!

    Also, I might be being really thick here, but I looked to see if I could 'follow' your blog, and can't find the box in which the 'followers' are...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, glad you liked the photos. Totally agree with you about the Film Noir reference for the Fonssagrives photo! Also the ballet dancers photos- have you seen Mario Testino's photo of Darcey Bussell? or Annie Leibovitz's photos of dancers, especially Mikhail Baryshnikov?? Equally stunning.
    Was having a bit of a problem with the widgets on my profile but all fixed now- Followers section is there now, so follow away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. also I saw on your profile 'about me' section you're looking to see the Van Gogh exhibition at the RA...it's not exactly as near as London but if you get the chance, go check out the Van Gogh musuem in Amsterdam- they have some of his really amazing, but less canonical works, plus the giftshop is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Signed up and sorted! I haven't seen the Testino shots (but will look them up pronto!) and have seen Annie Leibovitz's photos- so elegant but powerful.
    Unfortunately I have yet to visit the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, so will settle for the RA in the meantime! Must have been stunning though...

    ReplyDelete