Monday 1 March 2010

How long would you wait for love?





As I do an arts degree (joint honours English and Art History) I have to read so much, especially at the moment with two dissertations on the go, that I rarely find time to read something for pleasure. I was home a few weeks ago and picked up a novel from my bookshelf, determined to read before bed as a de-stress to switch off my brain. In a way I succeeded because I read the book, but I failed because the book was so good that I read it instead of doing my Uni work!!! 
So, this is a recommendation for any of you out there, whether you are an avid bookworm or just enjoy the occasional read, this book shall satisfy all. Love in the time of cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is an epic tale of unrequited love that is so beautifully written and heart-warming that when I reached the last page I felt emotionally overwhelmed. Forget Romeo and Juliet, Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy and all the other couples of literary history- this is a story which puts the power of love to the real test of time. 'How long would you wait for love?' is the caption for the 2007 film adaptation (I haven't seen it- so don't know how good it is) and this is an effective summary of the novel. Believe me, you become so involved in the story that you feel like you are part of the relationship between the characters- and it is so sad, and also so happy, that a lot of the time you won't know whether to smile, laugh or cry. So check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment