Wednesday 10 March 2010

curiouser and curiouser...

After watching Tim Burton's remake of Alice in Wonderland at the Odeon cinema in Leicester Square all I wanted to do was imagine my life as a world of Technicolor fantasy- far removed from the dust, dullness and drab atmosphere of the Birmingham University Library. Sadly, for the next few months the remainder of my student existence will be lived out amidst the hollow halls of 3C (the English section) and 2D (a dark underworld of musty atlases and tattered old newspapers). But who says you cannot inject a little glitz and brightness into your daily life with a gaudy but gorgeous piece of jewellery?

I had read in the April issue of Glamour that Selfridges had created a 'Wonder-room' in their store which was to be decorated in an 'Alice in Wonderland' theme with an array of related products for sale such as tea-cups, stationery and jewellery. In my head I had imagined a profuse shock of colours, a plethora of tea-sets piled up to the ceiling and on the brink of toppling over, a slight hint of powder blue smoke, a carpet of faux-grass with an array of fluorescent flowers and a background of jazzy, jangling music.

This was not the case.

MAJOR disappointment.

The only thing which could assuage my sorrows upon discovering a bland, and frankly very bare, room was to indulge in some pointless and extravagant retail therapy. The first-edition hand-coloured books were WAY out of my price range (£250 and above), I have enough notebooks to stock a Paperchase warehouse so that was out, I drink copious amounts of builders coffee, so a tea-set seemed unnecessary, therefore the only option left was jewellery. Naturally I gravitated straight towards the most expensive section of gold and sparkles, and left with this wondrous delight!! A necklace inspired by the pocket-watch of the white rabbit. The pendant is a clock, a horn and a rabbits head decorated with gold Swarovski crystals. I am obsessed with it. It's cute, it's sparkly and as it's gold I can layer it up with other items like my thick multi strand gold chain necklace.







'Oh my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!'

1 comment: