Monday 25 January 2010

To wear or not to wear vintage fur??

Yesterday was a tad crazy, to say the least! My friends and I went to the Church (NOT the 'house of god' type church before you read any further!) dressed as Circus freaks and lifeguards (random combo I know). So, as we left at 8am and didn't get home till half 9 I didn't get the chance to blog!!! But whilst we were waiting for our train at Clapham Junction (and slowly dying of tiredness/hangovers) I was people watching as always, checking out the style of the boys and girls of good old Londres. One particular girl amongst the sea of jeans, boots, dull and blah caught my eye- she was wearing a pretty damn awesome flecked grey and white fur jacket which....prepare yourselves.....had enormously accentuated, Balmainesque pointy shoulders!! I know, this sounds like a crazy mish mash of styles but believe me, she looked stunning.

So this got me wondering about fur and the apparent comeback into fashion which it is making. Of late I've noticed many a girl on campus and in the general brum area rocking one out. I'm sure most of the items I've seen are fake-fur takes on the trend from high-street stores- I own a gorgeous 3/4 sleeve leopard-print fur coat from Topshop which I loved snuggling up in over Christmas with a little dress, tights and knee high booties. But I've also noticed a resurgence in vintage and hand-me down fur. Two of my close friends have recently raided their mum's wardrobes for old fur, and other girls I know have purchased vintage items from London markets. Sadly my mum's fur coat from her 20s was moth-eaten and subsequently abandoned a fair few years back, so fake or vintage seem like my only options. I'm an animal lover so would never commission any real fur or buy anything which was made from farmed or otherwise exotic animals, but vintage rabbit fur (which seems to be the most common) doesn't seem so bad. I grew up on a farm with gundogs (shock horror, I know, please don't tell anyone) so had plenty of experience with wild rabbits (dead and alive), plus with vintage, it's only going to waste (or another customer) if I don't buy it. Watch this space, there might be fur in my future.....

1 comment:

  1. I bought an amazing vintage fur coat that was a tenner because there was a huge hole in it. I have fixed the hole but still don't have the guts to wear it. Maybe when I'm some fab fashion editor. C'mon, it was already dead and IT WAS A TENNER!

    ReplyDelete