Wednesday 13 January 2010

I'm not that innocent...

True to form with it being a season change to Spring/Summer the dominant trend is a move away from the rock/grunge aesthetic of last years Balmain obsession and a move towards a more feminine/pretty aesthetic. Apparently pastel candy colours and ethereal and deconstructed fabrics are in for Spring. Bad news for me because I am most definitely NOT a pastel/candy colours kind of girl- I might wear a white strapless voluminous chiffon Valentino creation if someone bought me it, but otherwise, no. Despite this move towards 'girly' fashion it seems some designers are still hanging on to a bit of subversive dressing with the use of body art.
The Mulleavy sisters at Rodarte had their models painted with black kind of art-deco/tribal designs to complete their post-apocalyptic almost primal looking collection.



At Chanel the models had their (tiny) upper thighs decorated with transfer tattoos of traditional Chanel pearls and camelias in the style of garters. It seems the interest in these tattoos was so great that they are now launching them for sale in a few stores on March 1st. If you want a set (they're £45 for 5 sheets- 55 tattoos) GET ON THE WAITING LIST!!!


If there is any surer sign that body art is becoming more 'socially acceptable' then its the increasing use of models with visible tattoos. I myself have 3 tattoos, one of which is on my wrist, and I would hate to think that people would view me any differently because of it. So I was very proud when the gorgeous model Freja Beha Erichsen was selected as one of the many faces in last years Gucci Autumn/Winter campaign with her arm tattoos right out there for all to see (image below). And I'm jealous because I really want some script tattooed on either my wrist or arm but I'm not allowed (sob). I was even more impressed when Freja was selected, alongside veteran model Claudia Schiffer, to front the Chanel Spring/Summer 2010 campaign once more with ink on show. Hopefully we shall see more tattooed models getting better advertising contracts with prominent designers over the next decade. Keep rocking it out ladies!

1 comment:

  1. I love Freja Beha! Put a post about her on my blog about how amazing she is and someone commented that she was too thin. Which inspired a whole lotta posting....
    I want her revolver tattoo.

    ReplyDelete