Tuesday 12 January 2010

Dangerous metals


I've always been a fan of slightly edgy, tough, 'don't mess with me' jewellery. Sure, I've got some more feminine pieces of vintage and costume jewellery and those 'save for a special occasion' birthday gifts, but for day to day wear I like something a bit more raw. From my youth days as a goth/emo writing self reflexive poetry (don't laugh) my favourite items were spiked cuffs and skulls, and this hard-rock aesthetic has continued to be my preferred style of jewellery when I'm feeling confident and, well, a bit of a bitch.

One of the models I'm loving at the moment is Alice Dellal, for her sheer 'I don't give a f***' attitude to high fashion. She has one side of her head shaved, has multiple piercings and is mostly seen stomping around in DMs wearing a roughed up punk style of clothing. Dellal has recently become the front-woman for a line of jewellery designed by her friend Dominic Jones which is my current 'I WANT' obsession. The theme of the collection is claws, teeth, screws and nails- very primal and aggressive but as they are made of gold they look more like gothic romance pieces than teen-angst-rebel ones. This is the kind of jewellery that you wear with attitude, its not for the weak-hearted wallflower, so if you can afford to buy a piece, put it on and go strutting through town to turn some heads.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Dominic Jones, he was in my Christmas wishlist on mah blog. I want the double claw ring. Sexxxxxxyyyyyyy.

    ReplyDelete