Thursday 28 January 2010

A peppermint sorbet with a topping of sherbet and glitter

I distinctly recall in a previous post declaring that I would not be swayed by the feminine pastels of the Spring collections. I lied. I had most definitely not anticipated my extraordinary love for the Chanel Spring 2010 Couture collection. For starters Alexa Chung sat front row. Instant street cred and anticipation for the outfits to come. Although I did quite like the silky satin beaded dresses and frothy chiffon creations which closed the show it was the opening array of short suits which drew me in. Style.com and Vogue called them 'cullottes' but I think that's a far too ugly word for what is clearly a summer city short. I really did never think I would like pastels, but somehow in a light sherbet shade on a delicately embroidered short suit it really works. Lagerfeld made a statement that this is his first collection without any black, any navy and any gold- silver was the colour detail of choice and it made an interesting touch. Not as garish or opulent as gold, silver has a slightly irredescent, translucent shimmer to it, especially when used for wonderful accessories like a fingerless metallic glove or a pair of tights.


This would be my outfit of choice for Miss Havisham's daywear; a chic but feminine and fun cream short suit. I especially like the neck detail- it's almost a floaty chiffon ruff with a slight corsage type detail of folding.


This would be Miss Havisham attending a ladies luncheon/tea party: a beautiful shade of peppermint (green is my FAVOURITE colour, besides black if you count that as a colour), with elegant yet intriguingly modern (almost art-deco like) silver piping detail.

So, now the accessories. It continually amazes me how Lagerfeld manages to maintain a strong theme throughout a collection and keep it fresh and fun with the details of hair and accessories styling.


The hair is shockingly Gaga-esque! I've read that it was intended to look heart shaped but I can't get the image of Minnie Mouse out of my head!! I'm a big fan of hair accessories- I have an entire box of various hair clips/bands/corsages etc so I am extremely envious of this oversized hair bow with lace and flower detail. I think it's interesting that streaks of colour are becoming increasingly predominant in the 2010 shows- I haven't thought about getting a blue or pink streak in my hair since the age of 15 but this look is definitely re-igniting that desire!! Pastel blue/ baby pink may be the next request on my trip to Toni and Guy!


The metallic fingerless gloves. Like wearing a piece of molten metal body armour that shimmers and glistens in the sun. I ssssssooooo want a pair! they can't be that expensive, surely??


The silver booties. Sculptural/artistic heels have been an unusual new trend over the last year and I have to say these are reminding me of the Prada sculpted sandals- definitely in a good way because I loved them!! They are kind of almost space boots but with an elegant underwater marine life detail. Not sure if that description makes sense, but then again these are pretty unusual boots!!

I love it all. I just want everything.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen Tavi's new hair? She went blue after seeing the Giles show. I kind like it, maybe I can go platinum and red. Like a ginger badger.
    PS Those silver booties are sooooo unChanelly, they are awesome.
    PPS I love Chanel Makeup. Just putting that out there. Their Rouge Allure Lacque is the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete