Monday 14 June 2010

Reviews and Recommendations...

OMG this has been a stressful and exhausting few days!! I went house hunting on Saturday in the Hoxton/Shoreditch area and found an AMAZING pad, but perhaps a little expensive or not quite right for me and my two potential housemates.... we shall see...
But the area is PERFECT- plenty of bars, pubs, markets and boutiques to keep me entertained so I am SUPER excited. In the meantime a few recommendations on other bits and bobs:
  • 'Nick Knight' by Nick Knight (currently half price for the hardback on Amazon). If you are into fashion photography and innovative and pioneering editorials then you HAVE to check this book out. The images are full page, high quality and truly inspiring. In amongst the fashion shots are mixed media collages, shocking still life style photographs and little snippets of information. I could look at it for hours on end and still find some new and fascinating element to each photo.

He truly is a raw talent.

  • 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' (1975). If you thought that 'Girl interrupted' was a moving and realistic insight into the life of a group of individuals in a mental institute then you will be blown away by this absolute gem of a film. It would, without question, be in my top five movies of all time. Jack Nicholson delivers an astounding performance in his first major movie role which more than deserved the best actor oscar. I don't want to spoil the storyline so I will just INSIST that you watch this.

  • MAD MEN- I don't really have that much to say that hasn't already been said about this fantastic TV series. I've just borrowed the first season boxset and watched the first disc (four episodes) and already I'm addicted. The characters are well constructed and believable, the plot is slow moving but incredibly interesting and varied, the costumes and make-up (in particular the coral, red and pink strong lips) are gorgeous and the acting is first rate. DEFINITELY worth getting into.

And for those who think January Jones, with her Grace Kelly style features and hair, is the beauty of the series I would argue that Christina Hendricks as Joan Holloway is on a whole new level of STUNNING.

  • 'Alexander McQueen- Genius of a Generation' by Kristin Knox. As the first McQueen tome to emerge since the untimely demise of the visionary designer there is not much to compare it to, so inevitably it seems quite good. The introduction with brief biography is easy to ingest but fails to deliver any new or exciting information about the late great Lee MQueen- so what sells the book is the extensive compilation of images of each of his collections and runway shows. This book is therefore invaluable for those who wish to have easy access to good quality images of all McQueen's work and want to see in one volume the evolution of his style and aesthetic. Although the book re-ignites the shock value and sheer genius of his work it also made me sad to see that such an inspired and creative man cut his life short when he had such potential. Without doubt it made me intrigued and apprehensive about what is to come now that the McQueen brand has replaced its starry light with a new creative director.

  • ITSU- the sushi chain which has a store just round the corner from my office. I AM ADDICTED. I do not know how I ever lived without a daily dose of sushi. I must have tried almost everything on the menu and I love it ALL. Particular favourites include the wasabi peas, honey and fennel cashews, miso soup, spicy salmon and avocado rolls, Omega 3 Salmon selection and Vegetarian supreme rolls. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment