Monday 21 June 2010

An afternoon jaunt to the V&A

Well, completely out of the blue I ended up going on an impromptu gallery visit this afternoon!! Work wasn't very busy and although I had the offer of going straight home I already had plans to stay the night in London and go out for dinner with my new housemates Helen and Eleanor. So I thought I would be productive and fill up my time by checking out one of the many exhibits in London which have been on my 'Must See' list for a while. The obvious choice was the Grace Kelly: Style Icon exhibit at the V&A which is only 6 stops down the Picadilly line from where I'm working in Covent Garden. Now, as amazing as it was to be able to pass some hours looking at fabulous clothes and other interesting artifacts I was incredibly disappointed that as I didn't know I would be going I didn't have either of my cameras with me. So unfortunately I had to rely on the less than adequate camera on my iphone to document the visit. It seemed fairly pointless to photograph any of the Grace Kelly dresses, jewellery, bags and sunglasses with such a terrible camera as, even with a great lens, taking photos of such exquisite things through glass casing never turns out so well. So, as I had an hour to just stroll around the rest of the V&A's collection I took quick snaps of other items which caught my eye...


The bookstore in the V&A is killer for anyone who loves books and/or art/fashion. I must have spent about 20 minutes alone just looking at what was on offer in the fashion and textiles section and made a list about ten books long of things I want to buy. It seems like my shopping ban may not last so long after all. Although technically these books would be educational...

2 comments:

  1. wow i wish i knew of similar stores like that around my area... looks so interesting. i love how they feature art too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you come to London you HAVE to check out the V&A, the Wallace Collection, Somerset House and the Tate Britain. They are the BEST galleries around!! Just saw on your blog that you did a post-modern analysis of The Hours...I love that film! Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep are amazing actresses!

    ReplyDelete