Tuesday 8 June 2010

'No-one can take our dream...'

At the moment I am doing work experience in a music video and advertisement production company and it has really opened my eyes to the extensive amount of time, effort, money and work that goes into realizing even the smallest and most seemingly simple concept. Witnessing the quantity of pre-production work, behind the scenes jobs and post-production editing has made me truly appreciate the skill of visual media and the potentially astounding results. As I was reading this months Bazaar, in particular the interview with Vanessa Paradis, I got to thinking about some of the most memorable campaigns of the last few years and the few that really stood out. The interview with Paradis referenced the Chanel advert for Coco Chanel in which she featured as a whistling caged bird being fed with perfume by Mademoiselle Chanel and her cat. The advert was made in 1992, so when I was only four, and Paradis looks so fresh and young. The concept is admittedly rather simple, but the director, Jean Paul Goude, captures the opulence and beauty of Parisian chic so well (despite the bad quality of the video on youtube):





Chanel has always had beautiful and iconic women as its spokes-models: from Paradis, to Audrey Tatou and Kiera Knightley (I was not too impressed with Lily Allen for the Cocoon collection). Although these other adverts were nice, none, in my opinion, were as eye-catching and breathtakingly wonderful as Baz Luhrmann's vision of Nicole Kidman. Coming after the success of Moulin Rouge in 2001, the 2004 advert was a visual feast of extravagant costumes, sets and epic sweeping shots of the city. It was then, and still is now, one of my favorite advertisements of all time:

No comments:

Post a Comment