Monday 14 June 2010

Natural Beauty

Whilst it is obviously interesting when celebrities play around with their make-up, the finished results when they try and be 'experimental' are often frighteningly unattractive; case in point the recent attempts by Lea Michelle, Jennifer Lopez and countless others to work the smoky goth eye. When it comes to such drastic looks I think it is best left to the rebellious young guns such as Taylor Momsen (after all her racoon eyes can be excused by youthful experimentation) or the established older maestros of rock and roll like Courtney Love. My approach to make-up (whilst shockingly bad at times in my early teens) has been refined to a less is more aesthetic. Sure I throw on the false lashes and extra coats of mascara and eyeliner on a night out, but as a rule I stick to natural looks with neutral colours and the occasional pop of bright lipstick. My icon for such looks is Diane Kruger, but more recently, and very similarly, I have been inspired by Kate Bosworth. Whilst I often find her street style clothes sense quite conservative, boring and at times dowdy, her red carpet make-up is always flawless. Kate would never appear as the object of scorn and mockery for looking like a young girl who has raided her mum's beauty box with her grubby fingers. Kate keeps it simple with glowing foundation, bronzed cheeks, a brown or bronze based smoky eye and a slick of natural lipcolor. I have found that the best products to recreate such a look are by Nars and Bobbi Brown as they specialize in natural tones with a sheer or shimmery edge.


The two lovely ladies together in black looking ever so chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment