Thursday 20 May 2010

To ink or not to ink...



As I was sitting patiently getting my highlights done today I noticed something about most of the girls working in the salon which really got me thinking. Almost all of the girls had visible tattoos (neck, wrist, ankle, ear) and the majority had at least one design on their inner wrist or outer hand. I have to state before you think I frequent some sort of majorly alternative hair salon that this is Tony and Guy and only one of the girls looked like the rocker type who you may stereotypically associate with body ink. It appears, much to my delight and encouragement, that tattoos are finally starting to lose the tag of taboo and become more acceptable.
I currently have three tattoos one of which is a simple five point star on my inner right wrist (a la Gisele and countless others), and I have been thinking about getting something new to celebrate the end of my uni life. It may sound sad, and I really don't care, but I have long wanted some text written on either my wrist, ankle or neck, and two quotes from poems I have studied over the last four years have really stuck in my mind. The inner wrist is a perfect place for such a tattoo because it is highly visible, not just to everyone else but to you. I don't see what enjoyment can be gained from getting a tattoo on a region of your body such as your back or neck where you can't ever see it without looking in a mirror. If I get a nice tattoo I want to be able to look at it all the time, especially if the design or occasion is reminiscent of certain events or emotions which you want to celebrate.
On a small google search I brought up countless images of celebrities with wrist and hand tattoos. Firstly Rihanna and Cheryl Cole, each of whom have several other tattoos:




It seems the finger tattoo is strangely popular right now. My brother (no idea why) had a moustache tattooed on his index finger several years ago and a family friend has a smily face on her middle finger. It seems other celebrities have caught on to this 'trend' too as both Lindsay Lohan and Lily Allen have sported some finger ink in recent months:





















It is surprising that not only wild younger celebrities or music mavens are getting inked but older, more typically conservative and feminine celebrities have also been sporting some visible tattoos. Check out Victoria Beckham, Jessica Alba and Eva Longoria:

























So, who knows, soon you may catch me sporting some newly acquired wrist adornments...

3 comments:

  1. But do you really want to look like Lindsay Lohan, tattoo-wise? Finger tats are trick; you don't really want one that you wouldn't be able to hide from a straight-laced employer, for example.
    I am really tempted to get one too, but am an ink virgin and have a pretty low pain threshhold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohh no no im not going for the finger tattoo!! I'd look like a right tit! I want to get some script going across my inner left wrist or maybe one word next to the star that's already on my right wrist.
    It doesn't hurt too bad. It's more of an odd scratching sensation with mild burning. Actually that makes it sound terrible....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, burning doesn't phase me so much as I work surrounded by hot things (grills, freshly washed plates, ovens....)
    Yeah the script on the wrist sounds good, I'd want a quote or a phrase. But I'd be hard-pressed to find something really original and timeless. I mean, how stupid is Leona Lewis gonna look in ten years?

    ReplyDelete