Monday 24 May 2010

Current Obsession

I think perhaps I am a little too proactive. I get bored beyond easily and simply cannot just 'hang' or 'chill' for extended periods of time. Now that uni life is officially over and my days are currently lacking any definitive schedule I am finding it hard to stay occupied. Of course today the situation is not bettered by the fact that I woke up at 5am to watch the finale of Lost and therefore completed all the things on my 'To Do' list by half past nine. Anal, I know.
So, whilst I await the call to start work experience I needed a fashion fix.
First source of entertainment was the anniversary edition of 10 magazine. There were multiple covers featuring the top ten designers' portraits, but sadly, despite endless searching, I was unable to snag the desired Tom Ford and had to settle for Donatella Versace; likewise a pioneer of a design brand based on sexuality and sensuality but definitely lacking the charisma and appeal of Ford's stubble, olive skin and hint of chest hair. Interesting features include the inevitable downfall of child prodigies (provoked by current teen blog sensation Tavi Gevinson), a review of the MOMA's exhibit of vagina portraits (pictures not for the feint hearted) and a tirade against the use of leggings as trousers which surprisingly developed into an insightful and thought provoking article on the psychological analysis of the observation of women in film, as related to fashion (the conclusion being that certain overtly sexual items of [designer] clothing are both misogynistic and masochistic).


Second source of entertainment is something that will keep me entertained for hours and thus deter a major bout of obsessive spring cleaning: The Rachel Zoe project. I watched a few episodes on Really a while back but as we don't have that channel on our limited sky package in Birmingham I have begun watching it online here. Despite the obvious stigma attached to Rachel Zoe due to the size zero debate and her conflict with Lindsay Lohan which resulted in her being tagged with the unfortunately appropriate nickname 'Raisin Face', the show is actually not only entertaining but interesting and informative. Whilst I may not agree with all of the choices Zoe makes for her clients the show is stylish nonetheless due to the attire of the cast. Zoe has an enviable collection of fur, big shades, vintage dresses, trophy jackets and gold jewellery (especially her snake bangles and leopard rings). Taylor (the resident bitch) has perfected the blonde rock chick look with a seemingly endless wardrobe of draped black seperates, leather jackets, silk scarves and colourful footwear. Quite how she manages to create the perfect side fringe remains a perpetual mystery. Brad (the sweetie) has a collection of sports jumpers, bow ties and loafers which would rival even the most staunch of preppy americans; his thick rimmed glasses perfect the cheeky appeal of his ever grinning cute face. Despite my usual disdain of reality TV shows this is fabulous guilty pleasure viewing for the fashionably inclined.

1 comment:

  1. Ah Rachel Zoe. She still scares me.
    PS Where are you doing work exp?

    ReplyDelete