Tuesday 18 May 2010

Hidden delight

My trip to the bullring today cemented one thing quite clearly in my mind- I do not like, and do not suit, pastels. I am far too pale and too light blonde haired to be able to pull off such muted colours without looking ill. Unfortunately the majority of current Spring/Summer stock in the high street stores is pastel coloured so the only item of clothing I bought was a darker denim shirt from Topshop. But as that was on my 'To Buy' list, along with a thin leather belt which I also purchased, my trip was a moderate success.

The one intriguing thing which I discovered on my round of the stores today was that you can find some great shoes in unexpected places... I have not shopped in NEXT since I was about 14, and had no plans to revisit the store at any point, but I realised today that they actually have a good selection of fashionable and reasonably priced shoes. Stores such as Topshop, Office or Kurt Geiger offer a wide range of high fashion heels but rarely for a price point of less than £70 (and in KG most are well above £100). So imagine my surprise at finding some party heels in NEXT all for under £50!! Obviously there are several pairs of hideous 'workwear' court shoes with grotesque square ends (when does this ever look attractive?!) and the requisite pair of grossly unflattering low heeled leather boots, but I found a few gems lurking amidst the overly glitsy party shoes.


This pair of hidden platform black court shoes are very basic but great as a staple shoe for dressing up a smart work outfit or pairing with skinny jeans for a more than casual drinks outing.
These fringed peep-toe ankle boots are used in the NEXT adverts. They are shockingly high but so amazingly flattering with tights, and the fringe detailing is subtle enough to ensure you don't get mistaken for Pocahontas. I shall DEFINTELY be investing in these asap.
These are the pair of black party heels that I have been forever searching for!! Perfect glam-rock style with multiple leather and chain strap detailing but the slingback style and small front platform make them super comfortable. A party must have.These peep-toe lace detail court shoes are really flattering











These peep-toe lace court shoes are incredibly flattering and subtly sexy. Great for more formal occasions, my housemate Philbin (Clare) has just bought them to wear to our gradball.


If you are on the hunt for a summer clog at a reasonable heel height and price then these are the perfect pair! The tan leather means they will go with almost all summer clothes and the buckle detail adds a little more interest. I might, MIGHT, be tempted to buy them; even though I swore off clogs...

1 comment:

  1. Agree. Next can often be a bit hit or miss,I really like the second pair of shoes *lush.
    peace
    prettyneons

    ReplyDelete