Thursday 27 May 2010

Spring Cleaning...

Oh my god. I never realised how much hassle it is constantly trying to manoeuvre all my stuff between home and uni. I am packing up to return home for the final time and finding so much crap and also many hidden gems amongst all of my jewellery, make-up and clothes. Luckily I've got five scavengers in the house who gladly relieve me of some of the things which I no longer suit/fit/like. It got me thinking though how much we, as consumers, buy and then waste each year. Holly made a guilt inducing statement of wonder at how much all of the make-up and jewellery I was so willing to give away cost when I first bought it....

I don't want to know. I am fully aware that over the last few years my personal style has changed, the fashion trends have changed, and frankly I have been far too thoughtless and fickle in some of my purchases (When exactly did I think I was going to wear a massive gold angel wings necklace?? A green hearts bead bracelet?? A pair of flower earrings which are half the size of my head??) From now on I am determined to be more practical with my purchases and more resourceful with my existing clothes. Time and again recent fashion journalists have implored us to reconsider our spending and only purchase 'forever' items. I don't intend to curb my spending to only those kinds of pieces but from now on I am resolved to only buy items which I think I will actually wear. No more cheap buys from places like Primark or New Look which, fair enough, may capture a current trend, but will no doubt unravel and fall to pieces in a matter of weeks.

Case in point: ballet pumps. I have bought previous pairs from Topshop for up to £25, from Primark for probably £5-10 and from Miss Selfridge for £25. Each of these pairs have had too thin soles for frequent use, the colour has faded, ornaments like beading/sequins/studs have fallen off and their life span has been no longer than a month or two. I am personally on the hunt for a more sturdy pair which, whilst being stylish, are more resilient and long lasting. Russell and Bromley has some excellent plain, studded and quilted leather pairs (I have had a black patent quilted pair for almost two years), Repetto (French brand) has some ballet inspired leather pumps of superb quality (but also for a high price point) and Pretty Ballerinas has a wide range of styles, all for around £100. But the best brand, in my opinion is French Sole. If you visit their website or any of the four London stores you will see what an astounding range they have-not just in colour or style but in shape: some are low cut and thin, others are more enclosed and sturdy, some have fur lining, the list goes on. Again, like Pretty Ballerinas they are fairly expensive, with the most simple pair starting at £80. Although this might seem like a lot it is a strong investment. French Sole pumps are so well constructed that you can be assured they will remain in top condition for several years, and with that guarantee you are saving yourself from buying countless pairs of cheaper styles which will only hurt your feet and end up in the bin within a month. I invested in a black quilted pair with patent toe, and a leopard print pair, both of which I am sure will look stylish and remain key elements of my wardrobe for years to come.

In a final note, to aid in the Spring cleaning of mine and my mom's wardrobes we are setting up an ebay account to sell all of our unwanted items. These shall range from Topshop and Jigsaw dresses, Zara shoes and MAC make-up to a selection of Louis Vuitton and Dior bags. Stay tuned for more details!!

No comments:

Post a Comment