Friday 2 April 2010

Spring Delights

Ok, so unless anyone were to offer me the entire Valentino or Chanel Spring 2010 collections I think it would be safe to say that you will never, ever, under any circumstances, catch me wearing pastels. Maybe a bit of florals, all white or spring stripes but not any of the frilly, frothy, flouncy candy coloured confections which have started to emerge on the high-street as high-fashion trends filter down to the masses. I'm just not that type of girly girl.
But, I WILL embrace the pastel trend in accessories. As my mom and I found out today sometimes it's quite nice to just spend a shopping trip looking for belts, bags, shoes, jewellery and make up. Because, as the lovely Toni Collette said in the movie 'In her Shoes': accessories NEVER make you look fat.
So, starting with jewellery...



I thought that I had permanently made the switch from silver to gold jewellery about 4 years ago (roughly coinciding with the time I left for University and grew up...a bit) but I have a few silver pieces which I dig out on the odd occasion. These two pieces look so much better at the moment as I am shockingly pale. Silver has tendency to look really tacky with a tan.
The bracelet is one which I stole off my mom so I haven't the faintest idea where it came from but the mother of pearl detail on it is so beautiful- because of the multiple colour tones it will go with anything.
The ring is surprisingly glitsy for my usual tastes but I spotted it in this really amazing jewellery store on the corner of Long Acre and Drury Lane in Covent Garden when I was on work experience last summer. The detailing of the metalwork in the setting was so intricate and exquisite that I couldn't help but splurge. It came with various purple, clear, green and other blue coloured stones too.
The nailvarnish is a gorgeous pastel lilac- Yves Saint Lauren no.143. I think it is limited edition so get out there and buy one quick! If you can't get it or don't want to spend as much as a YSL version then both Barry M and Superdrug sell very similar versions.



I seem to have gone through a bit of an obsessive phase of buying YSL make-up. Their newest mascara 'volume effet faux cils' in 'noir radical' is the blackest most inky mascara you could hope to find. It covers each lash in thick black to give you a really dense strong look. I would however advise wearing it layered over another mascara like Lancome's 'hypnose' (an absolute favourite) as it is perfumed and if you have sensitive skin, like me, this can make it sting a bit when worn on its own.
YSL have just brought out a range of great pencil eyeliners in vibrant shades. I chose the lilac and aqua coloured ones, numbers 9 and 10, as they are perfect spring shades that make your eyes pop. The pencils also have an angled rubber sponge on one end so you can blend the colour in for when you want a less-defined look.

As I have not yet made the full transition to summer make-up I am still enjoying having my usual day to day liquid eyeliner look (using Bobbi Brown long lasting gel eyeliner, applied with a thin eyeliner brush) so I just used the lilac YSL eye pencil to define under my lower lashes for a subtle pop of colour. I just used a slightly sparkly taupe coloured neutral eyeshadow on the rest of my eyelids.

So now onto other Spring related purchases!

No girl can make the move to a warmer weather wardrobe without a staple pair of sunglasses. Ideally, if you're feeling flashy, you will have several pairs for different looks. I have rayban wayfarers and aviators, a pair of bling-tastic Gucci massive 'bug' shades, and now.....


a pair of more classic tortoiseshell 'bug' shades from Jigsaw. Everyone, if it suits them, should own a pair of enormous, face-covering 'bug' shades. Perfect for hiding dark circles, jet-lag and for pretending that you are fabulously rich and famous.



If you have a pair of lace up worker boots then make them Spring ready with some cutesy little lace trimmed ankle socks. Urban outfitters have loads, as does Topshop. You might think it is a schoolgirlish look (which it kind of is) but make the frilly socks you're only girly girl accessory and it will look more edgy than sissy.


And yes, I couldn't resist, I loved the boots so much that I ended up buying them in the lighter colour-way.


If you find something that you really really like. Buy several. Just in case.

Now, for two last non-fashion treats. Both are wonderful little delights that can bring colour, smell and joy into your house and your life.
Firstly- candles. Never underestimate the power of a scented candle to instantly add atmosphere to a room. I personally love fresh incense smelling ones like jasmine, ginger or citrus fruits- nothing too sweet and sickly. Anthropologie, newly opened on Regent Street, has been marketed as a more lady-like Urban Outfitters. Now, I'm not sure if it is because I am not a lady yet, or I don't have the budget of one but I don't agree with this comparison at all. The clothes are hippyish and ok I guess but massively overpriced and the jewellery is a bit gaudy and equally as overpriced. But the overall decor, the books on sale and the multitude of unusual homeware pieces make it worth the trip.



The last time I went I picked up this amazing antique oriental looking candle which has pride of place on my bedroom windowsill. It smells like HEAVEN.

Last but not least is a very Spring treat. Flowers. A bouquet of roses, lilies, tulips, daffodils, gardenias, lavender...the list goes on; any flower will instantly brighten your day. In the entrance way to Liberty of London on Great Marlborough Street there is an unprecedented flower stall selling buckets, bouquets, boxes, baskets- all manner of flowers. You can't help but pass by and smile.



2 comments:

  1. Oh girl, hold up. Where are those boots from?
    And is that eye yours? Amazing.
    Got a make-up post of my own on the way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. boots are from urban outfitters and they are dreamy!! the leather is so so soft making them super comfy.
    Yup, the eye is mine!! took about 10mins to manage to get a closely zoomed shot that a) was actually my eye and not an ear or eyebrow, and b) that wasn't insanely blurry. Trying to hold and shoot a massive SLR camera with one hand is very tricky!!

    ReplyDelete