Saturday 17 April 2010

I wanna do bad things with you...

You would have to have been living in a cave to not have noticed the current obsession our western culture has with vampires. From film and TV to books, the undead are everywhere. The Twilight saga continues this summer with Eclipse, amongst many other prospective vampire/supernatural based films, The Vampire Diaries has developed a steady following for its first season and my personal favourite True Blood will be returning to our screens too with season three. I could wax lyrical about the numerous joys of True Blood, not least of which is my current guy crush Alexander Skarsgaard, but this post is about vamp style. A lot of the vampires in True Blood have what I would call the typical child of the night look. Dark tones- black, midnight blue, ivy green with the occasional flash of blood red- and a lot of leather. I'm definitely not complaining.
But last night I was watching Season Two online and reached episode 11 (Frenzy) and 12 (Beyond Here Lies Nothin') where Evan Rachel Wood plays the Vampire Queen of Louisiana, Sophie-Anne Leclerq. I won't bother to give a extensive critique of her acting, the adjectives wooden and unconvincing will suffice, but her wardrobe and set were definitely worth praise.
Sophie-Anne's 'Day Room' features beautiful architecture and furnishings, especially the chandeliers and chaise lounge. 



The wardrobe was definitely a step up from the casual sexy goth look of the other vamp characters. Sophie-Anne's wardrobe was glamorous, decadent and reminiscent of pure old Hollywood glamour. A lot of white and cream with statement jewellery. The hairstyling was sort of '40s gentle wave, a more glossy Florence Welch style, and the make-up was very Dita von Teese- porcelain skin, heavily lined eyes (top only) and dark crimson lips.
I was inspired by the look to create my own mood board, hope you like it!



Details from far left: Vivienne Westwood Gold Label Opuntia corseted gown, Vionnet draped silk dress, Christian Louboutin studio 120 peep toe pumps, Christian Louboutin Margi Diams 120 sandals, La Perla Mohini knot embellished swimsuit, Dicha Bella earrings, Oscar de la Renta Antique 22k gold plated earrings, Anita Ko diamond encrusted panther ring, Solange Azagury-Partridge Ballcrusher 18k gold and pearl ring, Agent Provocateur Martinee Kimono and Thelma bodysuit.

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah I love True Blood!
    I'm not sure what number ep I am on, but have not met ERW yet. Know the ending though, damn viral internet.

    ReplyDelete