Thursday 15 April 2010

How to be GeEk.

I remember, about this time last year, realising that the 'geek-chic' look was more than just a passing phase and was in fact a strong fashion trend that was made to endure. I can so distinctly recall walking into one of my exams (and I'm an English student so my 'Arts' peers are fairly fashion forward and experimental) and seeing multiple band/cartoon t-shirts, a few granny cardis and multiple pairs of thick black rimmed glasses. Now, I've been wearing glasses since the age of about 14 when I realised just how visually impaired I was so I find the wearing of glasses as a 'fashion accessory' when you have perfect 20/20 vision affected and a tad annoying. But the rest of the geek-chic items have been fairly constant aspects of my wardrobe for the past few years. I have a Johnny Depp 'Cry Baby' t-shirt, an Iron Maiden and a Metallica t-shirt (and YES I do know who the bands are and I DO have music by both which I listen to on my ipod fairly frequently), I also have some granny cardis, some brogues, loafers and a number of other items. But the latest geek item to get a high fashion make over is something which I have secretly being feeling very nostalgic about for a while so I shall be jumping on this particular bandwagon with more than usual levels of enthusiasm.

Prepare for the re-emergence of the BACKPACK! Yes, that practical staple of your childhood days is firmly back in the game now that satchels, that other useful bag, are back on the map. I typically decide if I like a fashion trend if I see it road tested by a celeb whose style admire and whose look I think I could incorporate into my own. Alexa Chung is my usual style icon for such things (previously converting me to loafers) but even she will not sway me towards a love of clogs. Sorry, but no. Wedge, or wooden heel sandals maybe but a full Netherlandish clog? No way. Mary-Kate Olsen, my long time style crush, was the one to fully reinvigorate my love for the backpack.



Aside from the cuteness of her over-head plait and the emerald green of the gorgeous Dries Van Noten jacket, I am loving the backpack as a practical yet stylish accessory. The style of this particular bag is traditional with an over the top flap and two front pockets. It reminds me of a very old model Louis Vuitton backpack which my best friend Luci had when we were 12. I lusted after it for years before finding out that particular style was discontinued. Luckily now though there are a number of great backpacks back in the shops and in designer S/S lines.

I have just ordered this lovely little number off the Topshop website. It fits in with the military/utility trend and comes in either khaki or grey. I didn't want to look like a solitary member of the army so I opted for the grey.



I always carry around everything I could possibly need for life in my bags so I'm mega excited about putting all sorts of useful things into each of the pockets. (Yes, I'm extremely anal and have a mild case of OCD)

Other great high street versions include:


This mock-croc backpack, also from Topshop.



This cloud-print design bag from Urban Outfitters.

You can also find a number of reasonably priced and stylish backpacks from LeSportsac.

Some great designer versions include:

 

The Alexander Wang 'Sydney' backpack.




The Louis Vuitton Bosphore backpack.

Both of these are from the men's collections but I don't see the problem with that. It's totally all about unisex dressing these days anyway and especially for items like accessories the men's lines have some much more interesting and less obviously 'fashion' items.

No comments:

Post a Comment