Saturday 3 April 2010

The Birth of Genius

When I first looked through Alexander McQueen's final 16 outfits for Fall 2010 I think I was too shocked and disconnected to give an accurate appraisal of what are, inevitably now, his final pieces to show the world. McQueen's work is always so incredible in its breadth of reference, message and emotional impact that, for better or for worse, his shows have always incited, and encouraged, diverse responses. These last 16 looks are no different. I have to admit that I am shocked at myself for not recognising the full extent of his artistic referencing in these pieces, particularly as I am a final year art history student!  At first glance I saw the allusions to Italian Renaissance architecture and baroque grandeur  in the heavy fabrics and ornate gold embroidery and beading, but it was not until the March 10th Times Fashion supplement covered the final collection that Lisa Armstrong's comment awoke me. If you look closely at the textiles you will see the digital reproduction and manipulation of religious artwork by Sandro Botticelli, Hieronymus Bosch and Hugo van der Goes. Hieronymus Bosch's work is a little too surrealistic and disturbing for my tastes but I can see why McQueen would find it fascinating nonetheless (If you want to experience the apex, in my opinion, of Bosch's work look up 'The Last Judgement'). In light of McQueen's suicide I would rather focus on the final collection purely in respect of the work of Botticelli and van der Goes because I think the colour scheme, draping of fabric and architectural detailing is clearly mirrored in McQueen's work. I would also like to think that McQueen, like these Renaissance masters, will be revered as a creative genius and that his work will have a dramatic impact upon, and shape, the fashion world for years to come.





A few works by Boticcelli-notice the predominance of red, blue and white with gold detailing, the flowing drapery which cascades off the body and the pale cream skin tones of the figures.
Now look at a few looks from McQueen's Fall 2010 collection...









Then look at some works by Hugo van der Goes and notice similar themes...







LONG LIVE MCQUEEN.

2 comments:

  1. thank you!!! those socks sound awesome, much better than mine.you seen the blog award i gave you? its a few posts below that one xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. head to urban outfitters for the socks! they have a fantastic selection of ankle and knee high socks. if you don't have a store near you then shop online- think they deliver everywhere!!
    thank you so much for the award!! I need to get on and forward mine on to some other deserving bloggers!!
    CJ
    Xx

    ReplyDelete