Monday 9 August 2010

The first day at LCF and a new art find.

Today I started a short course at LCF- Introduction to Fashion Journalism. Put briefly- IT'S AMAZING. It has made me realise how much passion I have for the fashion industry and how determined I am to make something of myself and become successful. There are about fourteen people in the class whose age and range of experience is extraordinarily diverse. One girl is straight out of high school but has been interning since thirteen and is currently completing work experience at You- the supplement for the Daily Mail. Another woman is in her mid-thirties, was a buyer for Selfridges for eight years and is just returning to the industry after taking a career break to have two children. It's incredibly inspiring and motivational to be around a group of like minded people- all from different walks of life and with different aspirations. It's also incredibly comforting to be able to discuss fashion matters with others who have an equally keen interest! Not many of my friends are willing or able to have a conversation with me about the latest couture or interesting articles in the most recent monthly publications. This isn't to their detriment at all- it's just nice to speak to people with the same interests.
The week will be structured of several talks concerning key issues to fashion journalism- pitching, interview techniques, catwalk reporting, blogging and generating ideas. Each afternoon we take a trip to a different location in London to gain inspiration and prompt specific briefs. Today we made a visit to Dover Street Market- an extraordinary four floor miniature department store, headlined by Comme des Garcons, and featuring concessions from all the major top designers: YSL, Rodarte, Lanvin, Alaia....the list goes on and on and on. In a daze of amazement I moved to the third floor to ogle at some stunning black laser cut lace style Alaia sandals when who should stumble across the floor behind me? None other than Tara Palmer Tomkinson. Carrying a teddy bear. Each to their own....
Our first two assignments were firstly to write a 300 word recommendation piece for one item of our choice from Dover Street Market, and secondly to write a 450 word piece under the title 'How do I look?'. Both of which are to follow for you to peruse and give feedback if you fancy it.
On my way back to Green Park tube station I got distracted by a small gallery which was featuring an exhibit of abstract expressionistic floral paintings: 'The Silent Way' by Danielle O'Connor Akiyama at the Clarendon Fine Art gallery- link here. All mixed media on canvas, some with high gloss resin finish. I went in for a closer look, got talking to the gallery assistant and fell in love with a few of the pieces. I'm not usually into more modern art but the pieces were so powerfully resonant with emotion and passion that I couldn't help but stare in wonder. Despite the fairly steep price tag (£2k for the cheapest) I would highly recommend you go for a quick look; like me you may be surprised at how much you like it.
These are not even the nicest pieces by far- I was given the brochure and it features some stunning pieces such as 'Awaken my Love', 'Nascent' and the large three piece 'To the Imaginary Sight'.

No comments:

Post a Comment