Monday 9 August 2010

Diary of a first night in London...

So, I have safely arrived in my new home!! I still have several cardboard boxes of stuff lying around but once everything is stored in the appropriate places and my pictures are hung then I shall take a few photos. On Saturday night I had my first proper experience of a night out in London. As my other housemates were yet to move in I went for drinks with two old uni friends who live round the corner from Clapham North tube. Despite the general atmosphere of Clapham being a bit too... shall I say private school, rah/jack wills type?? Men in striped shirts tucked into their jeans with brown leather belts. Perfectly attractive if you're into that sort of thing but as my friends will assure you in a mocking tone I prefer the grungier (tramp-like as they call it!) type of guy. The longer, darker haired and more stubbly and tattooed the better! In the first bar we went to the music was a great mix of mainstream alternative (Kings of Leon, The Killers, Biffy Clyro etc) and old school cheesy pop. The drinks were shockingly expensive (£11.50 for two double vodka and cranberries!!) but it was a lot of fun- a bit of a grown up version of a uni guild. Very much all groups of friends out for a laugh. The second bar we went to was actually more of a pub (wooden interiors and quirky wall hangings) so to suit the mood I got two pints of snakebite (REALLY heading back into uni territory here!!!!) and proceeded to chat up a group of guys who were out for a 26th birthday celebration. Now, these friendly, averagely attractive guys had the misfortune of befriending myself and my best friend Sian on a girly night out when we were determined to have a good time whilst paying as little as possible (being the poor new graduates that we are). So by some stroke of luck (or extreme gullibility) one guy paid £12 each (EACH!!) for us to get into a club round the corner called Whitehouse (I think). The same guy then proceeded to ply us with tequilla shots and vodka cocktails, most likely in the hope of some after hours entertainment once the club closed. Sadly, for said over friendly male, my friend ended up with a South African and I danced the night away like the dancefloor maniac I am. We stumbled back home (via MacDonalds) at 4:30 whereupon I collapsed on my friends sofa fully clothed. For some strange reason I woke at 6:07 and decided it was best if I just got up and braved the tube home- only to reach the station and discover that the first trains don't go until 7:15 on a Sunday. So I slowly wandered back to my friend's place (wearing clothes from the night before and with most of my mascara melted down to my jawline) and had to wake her up with repeated phone calls to let me back in. Second collapse on the sofa later and I returned to the tube at the more reasonable hour of 10:30 and sat swaying with nausea, repelling all other tube passengers, who were mostly tourists (don't I live up to the stereotype?).
All in all a successful first night in the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment