Monday 26 July 2010

Pouty lips and big shades.

I have never been a particularly large fan of Victoria Beckham. She was never my favourite Spice Girl and even when her critically acclaimed fashion line was launched, she rose in my esteem as a designer but never as a style icon herself or as a person. I always thought that, a bit like Cheryl Cole, her look was too planned, too contrived and too obviously 'styled' to appear personable or inspire a legion of style fans. HOWEVER, as I was browsing my usual array of fashion sites and blogs this morning I came across her editorial spread in Vogue Turkey on redcarpetfashionawards. I LOVE it when iconic figures poke fun at themselves and the 'celebrity' lifestyle. There's nothing better than a bit of comedy and ironic self deprecation to make you ten times more appealing to the general public. Victoria is so often criticized for looking frozen, moody and pouty, yet here she is acting like an over confident, glamazon party girl.

Irrespective of who's decision it was to direct the shoot in this almost 'mockumentary' style I find it very amusing. The tone reminds me of Juergen Teller's shots of Victoria for Marc Jacobs:

1 comment:

  1. I hated those Marc Jacobs shots. They were just dirty. Literally.

    ReplyDelete