Monday 25 February 2013

Life Drawing at The Book Club


One of the many, many, things I love about London is that there are seemingly endless things to do. Pick a random Saturday, do a bit of digging and you can find any number of places to visit, things to see, or in this case, creative pursuits to get involved in.

The Book Club is a fabulous cool kid Shoreditch hangout, complete with exposed brick, jazzily named cocktails and amusing semi nostalgic ping pong tables (quite the new craze in entertainment for drinks/food venues). In addition to being the perfect place for a social drink or weekend dance it plays host to a series of cultural/creative events like life drawing.

It's been on my resolutions list for a while to spend some time being more artistic, doing some sketches, painting, anything to just stop my mind going on its endless whirl and remember the fun I used to have with a pencil and piece of paper at school. My friend Tessa and I have been going on a bit of an artistic quest recently, initiated with a very silly go at pottery painting at Art 4 Fun in West Hampstead - the results of which were a moustached egg cup (me) and a zebra striped tea pot (Tessa).

So, a few Saturdays ago, after stocking up on bagels from Brick Lane, we headed to Pitfield Street for  a couple of hours with some sticks of charcoal, paper and two life models.

These are my attempts:



















I tweeted these sheets after the class and was selected by The Book Club as the winner  of their Twitter competition. The prize - free entry to the next life drawing class of my choice. So, come April 6th (after Sydney) there'll be more, hopefully better, pictures to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment